- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 large clove garlic, coarsely chopped
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 pounds firm green, unripe tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup coarse, yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon coarse grain black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ cup oil, for frying
Combine mayonnaise, red peppers and garlic in a mini chopper. Process until well combined and fairly smooth, scraping down sides of chopper halfway through. Transfer to a small bowl. Refrigerate until serving.
- Core tomatoes, then cut them into ¼-inch thick slices and dry on paper towels. Sprinkle with ⅛ tsp of salt.
- Set up a dredging station with (3) shallow dishes:
- Combine flour and ⅛ tsp of the salt in the first shallow dish.
- Lightly beat eggs in the second dish.
- In the third dish, combine cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, ¼ tsp salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Coat tomato slices in seasoned flour, followed by egg mixture, then the cornmeal mixture.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and in a single layer, fry the coated tomato slices for 2 minutes on one side. Flip and fry the slices for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack and keep warm in oven.
- Repeat, coating all tomato slices with seasoned flour, egg and cornmeal mixture and adding oil as needed.
- Serve warm with cold aioli on the side, and enjoy!