Celebrate your garden with fresh green beans, mushrooms, and a homemade cream sauce that come together to create a mouthwatering green bean casserole dish.
Believe in the power of natural ingredients, not only for your garden but also in the kitchen. Try this delightful and healthy green bean casserole recipe that celebrates the bounty of your garden. Fresh green beans, mushrooms, and a homemade cream sauce come together to create a mouthwatering dish that's perfect for any occasion.
For the Casserole:
- 1 lb fresh green beans, halved
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Cream Sauce:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
For the Topping:
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and grease a baking dish with cooking spray
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the green beans for about 3-4 minutes until they are crisp. Drain and transfer them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain again and set aside.
- Cream sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes until it turns golden brown. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking to avoid lumps. Stir in the Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until they become translucent about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and sliced mushrooms, sautéing for another 5-6 minutes until the mushrooms are tender—season with salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the blanched green beans, sautéed mushrooms, and onions. Pour the cream sauce over the mixture and gently toss everything together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Mix until the breadcrumbs are coated evenly.
- Transfer the green bean mix into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumb topping evenly over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden and the casserole is bubbling. Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Serve your garden-fresh green bean casserole as a side dish at your next family gathering or enjoy it as a healthy main course. Your guests will love the natural, wholesome flavors and the fact that it's made with fresh ingredients from your own garden!